Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Fruit and Vegetable Shopping on the Cheap

 
Fruits and vegetables are essentials to a healthy diet.
Shopping on a budget and incorporating healthy foods is a challenge but one I am determined to master. With fruits and vegetables I previously always shopped the grocery ads and purchased what was on sale. That always became a challenge to plan meals around.
Until now.
 
I heard a while back about Bountiful Baskets. It has truly become a saving grace in my life. I can make affordable, healthy meals for my family.  And I have corn coming out of my ears. No, not literally.
 
Bountiful Baskets allows you to select a pickup location where you make a contribution for a basket for $15.00 that consists of 50% fruits and 50% vegetables.  And you can make it organic for an additional $10.00.  Pickups are once a week and you purchase when you like by the weekly cutoff time. You also have the option to purchase additional add-on's based on what is available to them. 
 
This is a picture of our 50/50 baskets, all lined up ready for their pickup.
 
 
The table above was my last purchase.  It also include a box of 48 ears of corn, which I did not lay all out.  I know you are looking at that thinking it will all go bad before you eat it all.  This was three add-on's (corn, juice pack, and stew pack) as well as my 50/50 basket. I also split it with my sister. The grand total $49.00, I paid half ($24.50) and so did she. Smokin' deal!
 
Once I get my items, I pull out my recipes and plan my meals for the next two weeks. I make one trip to the store, and then I am done cooking and grocery shopping (minus milk)for the next two weeks. You have to keep in mind that you don't get to say exactly what you want and the add-on's may change from week to week. 
 
As a Mom of four, this saves me so much time. The effort is the first day after that putting the meal in the oven or slow cooker is simple! It also provides us with new fruits and vegetables we have never tried, and helps keep us eating fresh!
 
 
 

No comments :

Post a Comment

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips