Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Homemade Granola Bar Deliciousness


Getting something healthy in the tummy's of my little one's is my goal.  So I make thinks in bulk and have them on hand ready for a snack or school lunches. These homemade granola bars have become a favorite.  They are super simple, and take approximately 15 minutes to make.  Thank you Back to the Cutting Board for the recipe.
 
I made the S'mores Granola Bars but there are some additional yummy options on there. I love the parchment paper she wrapped hers in but I did mine in plastic wrap and sealed in a Tupperware to maximize shelf life. I did alter my recipe slightly by substituting her plain granola for a vanilla almond granola. I also added ground flax seed into my recipe. Flax seed gives some additional Omega-3 and what I love the kids never notice it is in there! I also cut my bars into mini size, which makes a less calorie snack and reduces waste. I can't count how many times I would find half of a store bought granola bar left lying around from the kids!
 
 
Recipe S'mores Granola Bar
 
  • 4 Tbsp. Butter or Coconut Oil
  • 1/4 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 2 cups granola
  • 1 cup rice cereal (prefer a healthy organic brown rice cereal)
  • 2 Tbsp. ground flax seed
  • 1 cup mini marshmallows
  • 1/4-1/2 cup chocolate chips
Directions
  • I used a 9 x 9 baking pan and lined it with parchment paper. If you use foil, lightly spray it with oil
  • Next, combine the brown sugar, honey, and butter in a medium size saucepan and stir until the butter is melted.
  • Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to medium-low and let boil for 2 minutes. Until sugar is melted, then remove from heat.
  • Add the granola, rice cereal, and flax seed to the saucepan and stir until well coated. Once coated, stir the marshmallows in gently.
  • Pour into pan and press firmly down with a spatula, making it flat evenly across the entire pan.
  • Sprinkle chocolate chips across the top and press down gently into the granola.
  • Let sit 15-20 minutes until cool, then pull out and cut into bars.
 
Happy cooking!!

No comments :

Post a Comment

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips