Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Homemade Whole Wheat Pop Tarts



I have had Pop Tarts on my list of homemade items that I want to master for a while. My kids love Pop Tarts and often ask for them.  There are quite a few recipes out there. The one I attempted is HERE. I have a few tweaks I want to make to this recipe but it definitely is headed in the right direction and the kids loved it. To me the kids vote is most important even if it is not quite where I want it.


Recipe:
2 cups whole wheat flour (this could be a 1/2 whole wheat 1/2 white) 
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup butter (1 stick)
1 egg
4 Tbsp milk


Combine your flour, sugar, and salt into a large mixing bowl and stir. Cut your butter into small pieces and mix into the dry mixture until it is crumbled up into it.  Whisk your milk and egg together and add to the other mixture.
Knead your dough until it is a nice consistency.  Roll out your dough into two large, thin squares.
Cut your dough into rectangles and place on set on parchment paper on a cookie sheet. 
Add your filling. I did learn that I need to be more generous with the filling. I used an all natural strawberry jam. You really have a lot of choices you could use.  Leave a small border around the outer edge. Then, place another rectangle and press the seams together. I took a fork and pressed them along the outer edge. You can also cut two small slits in the top of the pop tart to allow air to escape.
I also placed a cinnamon and brown sugar mixture on top instead of a frosting.






Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes


Thanks andchristina for the recipe HERE



No comments :

Post a Comment

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips