Monday, September 30, 2013

A Simple School Lunch Kids Love


What kid doesn't love a Lunchable? My goal is to make as much
for my family that is processed free. Are we completely processed free? Not yet. A transition like that can take time and energy. My shelves have mostly canned fruits and vegetables, spices, and baking items.  We make as much fresh as possible. 
 
When my kids get the luxury of grocery shopping with me, which is rare, they often pick up the popular Lunchable and want it for school.  When I shop I need focus on what I am buying, not who ran off into the next aisle. Especially since I coupon and try to shop only every two weeks. So I came up with making my own healthier, more fresh version. 
 
Cupcake liners make the perfect section separator.  What is great is you can change it up to different items.
 
Here is my list: 
 
Whole Wheat Ritz Crackers
Lunch meat
Cheese Slices
Grapes (Any fruit)
Annie's Organic Bunny Grahams
Juicy Juice Fruitfuls
 
Things to keep in mind when buying. Look for whole wheat options in crackers or buy organic.  Lunch meat, I stick with Hormel Natural Choice or Oscar Meyer Selects. These two come with No Preservatives and Nitrate Free. Yes, they can be more pricey but watch the adds and your coupons to stock up on them. The bunny grahams are their treat, I do my best to keep high sugar items when at school. With juices I look for 100% juice, nothing less.  Juice is not an everyday item in their lunch, I alternate with milk and water. In this lunch I feel it is lacking a vegetable so a few less grapes and maybe some carrot sticks I will add in next time!
 
The kids favorite part is I use my cookie cutters to cut the lunch meat and cheese into shapes. It makes for easier handling and fun to look at for them and simple for Mom to cut!

No comments :

Post a Comment

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips